Ogden Family Law Mediation
Our office specializes in family law. As a result, we have a lot of valuable experience that can help clients set realistic expectations, think through their decisions, and develop creative and workable solutions so they can avoid trial, save money, relieve the stress of litigation, and save children from the potentially emotionally traumatizing effects of custody evaluations and court trials.
Divorcing couples, parents fighting over custody of a child, and spouses litigating over property all need to recognize mediation as an opportunity. A recent study showed that 4% of custody cases nationwide went to trial, and only 1.5% actually made it all the way through trial–the rest settled without leaving the decision in the hands of a judge.
Benefits of Mediation
Consider the following benefits of mediation:
- You will avoid a costly trial. A trial alone will cost anywhere between $4,000 and $10,000 in attorney fees.
- You can create a solution that works for you rather than leaving your fate in the hands of a judge. Every practicing family law attorney has had at least one experience where they have been blindsided and surprised by the unexpected ruling of a judge. You can never be sure how a judge is going to rule and its scary to leave your life, and your children’s lives, in the hands of another human being.
- You have a lot more freedom in a mediated agreement than you do in a court order. A court will look at things very simplistically and will issue a streamlined order that might not address any of your concerns. In mediation, however, you can create any kind of agreement you want, addressing any concerns you have, big or small.
- You can avoid a custody evaluation. A social worker, child therapist, or other professional will interview you, your friends and family, and your children; they dig deep into your past, and this process can be scarring for children. A custody evaluation will cost anywhere between $2,500 and $8,000 depending on how many children you have.
- You can avoid a guardian ad litem. A guardian ad litem is an attorney appointed to represent the interests of your child(ren) to better ensure they have a voice at trial and they aren’t being manipulated by either of the parents. A guardian ad litem can cost anywhere between $1,500 and $7,000, depending on how much time they have to spend on your case.
- The money you save by avoiding those items listed above can be used to help you set up your new, post-divorce life, or can be used for the benefit of your child(ren).
If you’d like more information on our mediation services or would like to schedule a mediation, please contact our office.